Saturday, September 4, 2010

along with hundreds of mosquitoes

September 3, 2010 9:57 PM

This morning I went over Romans Ch. 1 and it stayed on my mind all day, no excuse is a pretty blunt statement. Its crazy what God chooses to reveal himself to the world. Anyways today was my first day of work and I had some pretty odd jobs;

1st I worked on restoring computers, scanning hard drives for viruses, and transferring files from hard drive to hard drive.
2nd I worked on soldering back together an electric keyboard for one of the churches that the mission supports, but the work I did to restore the keyboard was in vain after I found a couple of wires missing.
3rd and most exciting I got to help with payday- that consisted of packing bags of rice, pinto beans, bulgur, peanut butter, shoes, shampoo, and soap.

It was exciting to hand out the bags we packed. After the Haitians waited (not-so-patiently in the pouring rain) it was so good to see their faces smile once they were handed a bag. The Haitians to receive their bags for the work they do on the mission, which includes but is not limited to; working in the machine shop, cooking meals, and even mowing the lawns…with machetes.

On my way back to my room tonight I was more successful at finding and using my keys and I passed at least 5 security guards on my way back, the only way I could see them was the reflection of moon on their 12 gauge shotguns (sometimes I feel like Indiana Jones in a foreign country).

The mission has a guitar I can use, and although it is not the best it is nice to have since I couldn’t bring mine. My bags were packed on the way here; funny thing is that I wasn’t the one who packed them full of stuff. My uncle had me transport some things he needed in my bags. I ended up just packing all my stuff in a carry-on backpack while my other 2 duffle bags were full of computer stuff, a sound system, and a text book for a student here.

Tonight for dinner we had pizza! It was good! And I also got a whole case of coke, in one-liter glass bottles- the good coke with real sugar, like in Mexico. And then brownies for dessert followed by a night of ping-pong while trying to get a hold of my girlfriend.

Right now I am used to being alone at nighttime, however I’m not completely alone, I have Coldplay, Phil Wickham, and Bon Iver for company along with hundreds of mosquitoes.

I’m not sure of what I am doing tomorrow (the people who give me work are taking the day off). I should head to bed though, because if I have no work to do then I am going to catch some lizards and try to hike down to a waterfall. I hope its not bath day again, because last time it was awkward hiking past a ton of butt naked Haitians.

Ps. I miss Hanna, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment