Saturday, September 4, 2010

the trip starts




September 1st 2010 at 6:00 PM I boarded a flight out of Santa Barbara, and on September 2nd 2010 at 7:50 AM I landed in Port-au-Prince Haiti.

I will be living and working here for then next month. My schedule at the Baptist Haiti Mission is unclear as of now- but as far as I know I will be working on filming/editing videos as well as going out w

ith teams to give aid to some of the 360 churches/schools that the missions supports.

As I was on the plane I found myself asking God “why am I going here?” that answer may be clearer to you then it is to me. The obvious answer is “to help the mission minister to Haiti”, but I was asking God for something deeper, what is His specific purpose for bring me to Haiti? What is He teaching me? What specifically is God going to do in my life now that I have saved/raised money, packed my bags, and flown down to Haiti?

I know that these are pretty self-centered questions. But still they are lingering in the back of my head. Is God be teaching me that I need to break out of my comfortable lifestyle and step out in faith daily to follow Him? Or is there something more?

As I was driving from the airport to the mission I saw hundreds maybe thousands of tents that the Haitians live in now due to the earthquake. I thought of how much I have and how hard sometimes it is for me to trust or even follow God. How can I be an example to these people who have so little? And why do I worry about such little things like, will I get done with college on time? When the people here don’t even know where their next meal is coming from.

Over and out.

Ps. I've been wearing topsiders for at least 24hours straight and when I took them off- I barfed a little bit in my mouth, close to a reaction I would have if Justin Beiber started a rock band.


No comments:

Post a Comment