Friday, September 10, 2010

dog civil war once the sun goes down

September 9, 2010 10:40 AM

Where did yesterday go? Wow…

Well not much has happened since then. I finished soldering all the music cables and now I am on to fixing a mixing board for a church. One of the fuses was blown so I am going down into port-au-prince tomorrow to try to find a replacement. I get to take a tap-tap, which is Haiti’s taxi service. A tap-tap is basically any brightly painted vehicle packed to maximum capacity. By maximum capacity I mean, people, chickens and goats hanging out the side and on the roof.

Today I had a great conversation with my uncle on the current state of the church and how it is affecting the youth. More on that later.

Ps. I think I am getting sick, and I cant fall asleep at night cause for some reason every dog in Haiti thinks its dog civil war once the sun goes down.

September 9, 2020 10:21 PM

Wow the day sure went by, right now I can’t tell if it was long or short. We got down to port-au-prince just fine on the tap tap. However once we got there we had ZERO success on finding the part we needed. On the other hand I was successful at finding and locating some razzle-berry now’n’laters and some Arizona sweet tea! That made my day. Once we had exhausted every electronic store in all of port-au-prince we headed back up to the mission. We had to take two tap-taps to get there.

The first tap-tap we took seemed like it would be a really nice comfortable ride up. It was like a 14 passenger van. But as we went along we slowly started to pick up more and more people until we were so packed I could hardly breath. People were everywhere, it was so packed someone from outside had to close the door.

We got off the first tap-tap once we went as far as it was going. Then we walked up the mountain until another tap-tap drove by and hoped on the back. This tap-tap was like a ford ranger. The only difference between this ford ranger and a ford ranger in the states was- this already had 21 people in it. so we grabbed on the back and hung on. I have to admit that after about 25 minutes my arms we sore.

Once we got back I got to restart my project of fixing a churches soundboard for church on Suday. Since we didn’t get the part we needed I had to tear apart and look for it in; 3 broken computer monitors, 4 broken desktop computers, a broken power amp, and some broken medical equipment. Alas, I found parts that were close, but none that would work. How hard can it be to find a 1µf, 400 volt capacitor?

After all this was pizza night, followed by game night- a great way to wrap up the week.

Here are some pictures of hanging some speakers at a church on Monday. Hopefully I can upload some from our tap-tap ride soon

No comments:

Post a Comment